Saturday, July 14, 2012

Reading Bulgarian

The first work on this sign when you pronounce it in Bulgarian says garage. The first letter is the g, the a is an a, the p is the r sound, the a, and then the last letter says something like zha, almost the j sound. Many words are familiar, it is just not obvious at first.

This is the name of the street where my apartment is located. The first part, the y and what looks like an a without the line is an abbreviation for yulitza, which is street. The second word is senchetz, which is the name of some kind of flower which I forget (Miss Tony will kill me now).

The sign in the middle talks about the sports complex for one of the local football clubs (by football I mean soccer). The word on the second line is the name of the club, Spartak. The logo to the left is the logo for the club and at the top it says FC Spartak or football club Spartak.

The sign is important to me because it is one of the ways that I decide when to get off the bus. Here you can see the bus stop that I get off at when returning home from the office. I took this picture while I was sitting on at the bus stop across the street waiting for the bus to take me to the office.
Having more fun that one person should be allowed, talk with you all later.

1 comment:

  1. Nice pictures and explanations of pronunciation of words, Honey!
    Happy Anniversary!! :-)

    ReplyDelete