Sunday, July 8, 2012

Camping in Bulgaria

Here I am standing on the cliffs overlooking the beautiful Black Sea. We went on a camping adventure this weekend. We camped in a wilderness camping area very near to where this picture was taken.

Yes, I put up my own tent. As you can see the place was "really crowded". I wish Yosemite looked like this some days! The ground was covered with rocks so the secret was to pick a spot where there were fewer rocks and hope you could sleep without one underneath you.

This is a view of the coast after we had hike down to the water level. I picked "hiked" because it was more than a walk, you had to be careful when you were going down.
Now for a little fun. Tell me what that rock looks like to you. Imagine that you are in a small clearing below this rock and you look up, quickly what does it look like. The people I was with all agreed as to what it looked like. Tell me what you think.

Last a question for you. This "bed" in one of the caves that were all over the area was used for a special ritual that was performed by the people who lived here long ago. Take a good look and decide what it was used for. You can answer me here in the comments section. If you post anonymous just add your name to the end of your post so I can know who is answering. Your prize??? You think there should be a prize?? How about, your prize is the knowledge you gain from answering this question!!

Tomorrow, Monday I start my second week of teaching. I will keep you posted as to how it is going.

3 comments:

  1. Nice pictures, Honey!
    What a rocky coastline! I'm sure you had to be very careful in making your way down to the shore!!
    I think the rock looks like the head of a snake!
    The "bed" looks like an embalming table. Yuck!
    Talk with you soon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rock: first thought is it looks like the head of a snake, but I prefer to think it's the head of a giant sea turtle! The bed: is that where demons tormented the dying or maybe where the scarabs lived?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all thought the rock looked like a giant frog waiting to pounce down on us. The bed was a place where they performed ritual sacrificial beheadings. It was tilted down at the one end so that they could collect the blood, which they then drank. Yum!

    ReplyDelete