Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Teaching day 2

Ok class the quiz for today. Here is a Romanian traffic sign. Can you guess what you are supposed to do when you get to this sign??? Like many other things here they have just borowed it from English. They have "fast food" places. They have stores that are open non-stop. So I hope that you can figure out what that sign means.
Here is another fun one. Across the stree if you look carefully you will see a horse and cart. The villager has brought some things in from his place. But what I find the most intereting in this picture is the sign in front of the cart. You really can not see it but it is the highway sign. This guy with his horse and cart is traveling on European highway 85. A main highway through Romania. So not only do you see horses pulling carts on the road, you see them on the highway.
This is the name of the school that I am teaching at. It is a very nice school. My two classes in the morning are at this school. It is about two blocks from my apartment.
Here is an overall look at the school. It has students from the 1st grade to the 12th grade. There are 1,300 student who attend this school. Luckily I am not teaching all of them. It is located just off the main street in Roman. Well all I have to go and teach my afternoon class. More pics coming. Talk with you all soon.

Mark

4 comments:

  1. Hi, the school looks nice. Sounds like you have a lot to keep you busy. Apt. looks nice also. I'm enjoying the blog. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mark. My students really enjoyed this blog. They were even trying to figure out what the Romanian words on the school sign meant. Ministerul they thought meant minister, educatiel they thought meant education and colegiul meant college. Can you let me know if all or some of them are correct? They were also amazed that 1st through 12th grades went to school together as I was. Also they couldn't believe 1,300 students attended one school. I let them know that was about three times a many students that are at summer school. This has been s great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mrs. Nunes and class. You guys did a very good job of figurin out what the sign said. See what looking at the root word can get you. Ministerul means the minister (the ul at the end means the)and the others are correct. Not all schools n Romania are like this. This school is the best school in Roman so many students want to go here. They do not go to the school in their neighborhood, they go to the best school they can get in to. Thanks for the questions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mr.Johnson,as you can see on the last day of school you told us to go on your blog so i did.I seen most of your pictures it looks pretty nice over there.ok well thats all.BYE!

    ReplyDelete