Monday, July 6, 2009

Some other views of Bucharest

Ok here is today's bonus round. Hands on your buzzers. First to buzz in with the correct answer wins a special bonus prize. After I get back they have to sit through all the pictures I have taken. (Ohh a special bonus to the person who can come closest to the actual number of pictures I have taken to date) The bust that you see in front of you is a famous Romanian, who can tell me who it is? I have mentioned his name in my blog before. This is a place called the old princely court. Until the 1880's Romania did not have a king, when it was united or parts of it were united they were run by a prince. There is not much remaining of this home and you can not get in to see it but it is not far from where I am staying.
All of you planning to go to a University after High School. Here is one that you might think about. This is the main building of the University of Bucharest. Of course you will have to become fluent in Romanian before you attend but that should not be too hard for many of you. I had one student this year who was already fluent in three languages English, French, and Spanish, right Maureen? The university is located at a place aptly called Piata Universitate, or University Square. Another great old building in downtown Bucharest.
And last for today, this is the outdoor market that is located near the apartment that I stayed in last year with my broken ankle. It took me a little while to find it as I never walked to it from the subway. I would walk down to this market with my crutches. It took me 15 minutes to get to this point last year. How long do you think it took for me to get there now with two good feet? Again you can post your answers here. Winner gets to watch my pictures. hehe ok now nobody will even post. Talk with you all soon. In a few days I will be moving to Roman and next week start my teaching assignment.

Mark

5 comments:

  1. Hi Mark! The statue is of Vlad Tepesd or Vlad the Impaler. He was the prince of Wallachia and used cruel punishment and torture to control the people. Strangely many looked upon him as the savior of his country and made excuses for his cruelty. I am going to guess it took you six minutes to walk without crutches. I still want to see pictures even if i don't win. (lol) Thank you for making your blog so fun and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to guess how many pictures you have taken. I am going to guess 285. I am going to have my student guess too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess I should have got on here sooner. Vlad the Impaler was like the most talked about person when you got home from Romania the first time. Lol :]
    And knowing you you've taken 400+ pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vlad was not the person I talked about most the first time. That honor went to Stefan Cel Mare. Who is not as much around here in Bucharest. Although there is a big street named after him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pshhh.
    Whatever Dad. I remember you showing me tons of pictures of that Vlad dude.
    You did talk about Stefan Cel Mare a lot too.

    ReplyDelete