Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Scores are in

The scores from the high school exams that the graduating students were taking last week are in. Actually they are on, like posted on the wall of the school for anyone and everyone to see each of your scores and whether you passes or failed. They have 6 parts to the test. Romanian, oral and written, a foreign language, math, science and most of them had a physical education section. Each section is scored from 0 to 10, with 10 being a perfect score. A score of at least a 5 allows you to pass that section. Then they average the scores and to pass your average has to be above 6. So you can not get a 5 in each section and pass. Also if you get less than a 5 in any section, regardless of what you scored in the other sections you fail. About 25% of the students here did not pass the exam. From my own personal look at the scores posted on the wall, it looks like math messed up many of those who did not pass. These exams determine which college you can go to and whether you can get a scholarship or not to go to school. So for all you high school students in California who are complaining about the exit exam be glad that is all you have to take. These exams take place over two weeks and many, many hours of time.

Today, Thursday, I had the pleasure of meeting a group of students from this school. They came to see me and showed me a presentation from a project they are working on in conjunction with several high school across Europe. They went to Dresden, Germany in June and learned about setting up a computer network. They spent three weeks there and said that they had a great time. After they showed me their pictures I showed them some of mine. They were interested in how high school was in California and what Livermore looked like. They were interested in how much money I made and whether that made me rich or not. There were 14 students and their teacher present. Their teacher is one of my advanced students. The pictures they were most interested in were of the teachers from last year in class, they thought that was funny.

Talk at you all later, have fun

Mark

2 comments:

  1. I hope you told them that high school in california is like cruel torture!

    haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't see all the pictures but I was very intrested by the high school from California and all stuf that you talked about it and I hope, if you want, that me and Kaitlin will discuss more about this and other stuf because we have the same age and...who knows..maybe we will become friends

    ReplyDelete