Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Wednesday's activities

This is the CEC Bank Building. I will show you a full picture of it later. I was near this today when I went to the museum. Here is the question for everyone. If it is 5 minutes after 10 am in Bucharest, Romania, what time is it in Livermore, California? I really love the intricate work that is around the clock. Just think of all the work, and how many people were required to make it.
This plaque is located out side the museum that I visited today. It says Museul National De Istorie A Romanie, or the National History Museum of Romania. Inside the museum was a replica of Trajan's Column. Trajan was the Roman Emperor who defeated the Dacians and brought the Latin language to the people of Romania. The column was designed to tell the history of Trajan's conquest. Going around the column from the bottom to the top was the story told in carvings. Again I will show these in a later post.
And last, here is one of the many churches in Bucharest. This one like many others is just jammed in between many tall buildings. When they rebuilt much of Bucharest they left many of the churches and just built around them.

Now to answer Dennis' question about whether they ride Bikes here. I have seen maybe one or two bikes in my time here. There is no where for them to be ridden safely. The roads are full of drivers who are only interested in getting where they need to go as quickly as they can and the sidewals are full of people and not well maintained. So riding a bike would be crazy. Most people get around on the bus, tram, and subway system. They have a good rapid transit system here in Bucharest. I rode on it today to get to the museum. Any other questions please feel free to ask.
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment