Saturday, August 1, 2009

At the Seaside

I got the chance to go to the seaside here in Romania. To the city of Constanta. I have been there without internet so that is why there have not been any posts lately. I stayed in a pensione (like a bed and breakfast without the breakfast) in an area called the Vacation Village. It was fun. Here is a picture from the beach at Mamaia. As far as you can see are beach chairs. These are rented by the day. When you walk out there, people are waiting for you. They will also set up an umbrella for you. This is the view from my beach chair.
Here is a picture from the water looking back at the beach. This beach is one of the prime vacation spots for Romanians, although many of them are beginning to travel to Turkey or Bulgaria for the beach. So here i am standing knee deep in the Black Sea.
Here is my set up on the beach. See the nice umbrella that they placed for me. It was a nice day and I managed to stay in the umbra (Romanian for shadow) most of the time. The guy who set up the umbrella was nice enough to take this picture.
And last, Captain Ahab was heard to scream from his grave when this image was sighted emerging from the water. If you heard on the news that the Great White Whale was spotted at Mamaia beach in Romania this is the image that sparked the rumors. But I do believe had there been sunflower planted on the beach they would have all turned their faces toward me instead of the sun. I will post more from the beach in the next few days. I am back in Bucharest and counting down the days until I return home. Talk with you all soon.

Mark

6 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm surprised that the water is not very deep.
    Nice swim trunks, honey! When you first mentioned it, I thought you had bought a pair of speedos!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! So you liked at Mamaia, and beach to the Black Sea. I wonder what do you say if you will see the beach in Antalya, Turkey. You undestand why almost romanians go in Turkey or Bulgary, to the beach. All services there are cheap,than romanian, and you will never see so many chairs on the beach, they are already paied, and not for rent/day. The beach is very clean, and you stay wherever you want with your chair. If you want I will send you a few pictures to make diferences. I understood you liked in Constanta. Have a nice time in Romania, as long you stay. By!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mark
    It's good to hear from you again. The beach looks great and the weather looks perfect. Was the water warm? Frank and I stayed at a bed and breakfast in Sacramento this weekend also. It was wonderful. If you and Kathleen want the info I can give it to you. (It did come with the breakfast!) I am glad you had down time this weekend to enjoy yourself and you don't look like a beached whale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *Cough cough* 3 DAYS *cough cough*
    Good to see I'm not the only paper white person in the family :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks beautiful there. Wish we all could have enjoyed it with you. That no tan stuff runs in the family. Looking forward to more pictures. Your oldest sis

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mark,
    Looks like you enjoyed the beach and it's a good thing the beachboy set you up to be in the umbra or you'd have hurt later! We'll have to compare beach stories when you return. Key West was fun! fun!! fun!!! Have a safe trip home.
    Melanie (back at work since Monday)

    ReplyDelete